Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Career Lessons

Hi folks. I am here to talk more about applying for jobs. As a trainee, you are lucky if you get paid while enhancing your skills, experience and exposure. My Project Manager once said that learning the skills is your investment so do not think about money because you earn money with expertise. I am sharing this so you learn from what I have encountered. I was earning while I was in college so it kinda made me arrogant. My interview with a leading construction company here was a fail. Its because I said that the company will just be a stepping stone for me. I did not realize it until years later. The lesson is do not be an arrogant SOB.

Its because your second option is not your first option so its like your Critical Path Method is thrown is disarray. And without a backup plan, you be lost. I tell you I worked for about ten companies and the most time I stayed in one company is two years. I cannot jot them all down in my resume without the employers zeroing in on why I did not stay for long. So this is a predicament I am in cause I am a journeyman. If you are sure that your current job is not for you then wait for the right time to resign is when you have been hired in another company. Its easier said than done but you have to endure until you are sure of your plans. The lesson is do not jump off a cliff without a safety net to catch you.

If you are not sure whether you love your job or not, then work at it. Make friends in your workplace. I find that sports is one that glues people so you find friends this way. I know how to play racket sports like table tennis, lawn tennis and badminton although my skills are for a beginner. In my P.E. class in Table Tennis, there was this classmate of ours who was highly-touted cause they say he participates in tournaments. I dunno if it was a fluke but I defeated him on a 3rd set tiebreak. One month later, I played against a neophyte in the sport and I was beaten easily. Its because I heard he practiced regularly. Lesson is hardwork beats talent when talent is lazy.

I learned that it is not too late to come back. You just have to retrace your steps and start from where you left off. For a journeyman like me is to be honest on your track record and pass the exams. If you have the skills the employers wanted, they will hire you. Thing is you do not ask for the moon. So you have to learn more skills to make you indispensable.


For Overseas Foreign Workers especially professionals, learn how to drive because the employers will not baby you cause you are expected to work independently. Service drivers are for special people only. The car is like a baby so you take good care of it. Check regularly if the tires are worn off. You do not want to have a flat tire in the middle of the road. You also check on the oil and gas levels so you roll comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment