Friday, November 27, 2015

Living Independently

The first time I lived alone is when I went to Penang in Malaysia. I cried cause I was home alone at Christmas day. Come on, give me a break, its like a marine fish being placed in the aquarium tank that you have to adjust. It was rather a short stay cause my destination was in Ipoh City in the state of Selangor.

Among the projects I worked in is a natural hotspring that is developed into a resort with spa, villas, landscaping and gardens of medicinal plants. Its called the Banjaran Hotsprings Resort and Spa. I particularly love the cat's whiskers plant in the garden because I am a cat man. And I am missing my cat. Its very refreshing to go inside the steam cave where the hotspring is because its a sweating place. The usual jungle trekking also made me physically fitter and healthier. Its made a big impact to me that it influences my life goals.

I stayed in a villa with two chinese-malaysians and an indian-malaysian couple. We all ate together during occasions and usually after meetings. My room has a toilet that has a connecting door to the next room so the rule is you keep it clean that there is no complaints from the toilet-mate. Across my room is my project manager, Mr. Chang Fuok Kwek. Its better that he is called Mr. Chang. He knocks on my door at night and we eat out. Sometimes we just buy take-home dinner. This guy gets me to drink beer cause he is a heavy drinker with five bottles the norm. I think I have reached that as my max. He taught me how to play golf with the condition that I buy him and his mates some beer. This guy is all about the beer. So I did buy them and I learned how to swing in the driving range.

The couple is of Indian descent so their food is very spicy, I have shared food with them several times. Actually to wash my underwear daily is a tip I get from them and the mixture of cinnamon, olive oil and honey for my face and hair.

People you have communicated with and the places and work molds you in the person you are now. So be careful of the influences, just pick the good ones from the bad.

My interaction with the Malay people is at work because I have malay co-workers and on the owner side, there is lady supervisor that I report to and she is a looker. She drives a pick-up car and several times she drives me to the site area where we discuss and monitor the work progress. We even went to the farthest state there so we drive for hours.

I've been in Thailand and Singapore but only for a short while. I went to the UAE where I stayed with my brother and his wife. I sent around 200 emails in a span of 2 months cause I searched for a job there. I called less times. I had several interviews but its not to be, either I did not qualify or I do not like the salary and terms. The thing I learned from this is how to wear a suit because its not uncommon for people there to be in formal wear.

The second time I have to live alone for a long time is when I worked in Palau. East asians, people from the west and the rest of the world come here by the boatloads cause this is a tourist destination famous for its diving spots. The locals are skilled swimmers that its like art when you see their arms cutting the water. The Japanese and the Germans have a connection with the island from the 1900s so I guess this was an axis stronghold.



The internet connection here is so iffy even in the coffee shops. My tip is that you keep your car clean and the seats available because you never know when strangers need to hitch a ride and its a hassle when you have to turn them down because your car is messy and full of boxes with things and stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment